This information, obtained by a colleague of mine with AILA-WA, shared the reasons given by USCIS for this change:
- Due to increased processing times of Natz cases in Seattle office there has been a national decision to shift pending N-400 applications to other USCIS offices close by;
- Pending applications with address "South of Seattle proper" (including Auburn, Des Moines, Federal Way and south from there) will be interviewed and adjudicated in Portland (he wasn't sure about Kent and Renton);
- Pending applications with address "East of Seattle proper" (including Bellevue, Issaquah and east from there) will be interviewed and adjudicated in Yakima;
- This is a temporary measure and the end date is TBD;
- All biometrics appointment appointments will still take place in Seattle;
- First notices to come in the next 45 days with first interviews in late July - early August;
- Reschedule requests will have to be directed to the offices at which the interview was to take place.